Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Being a SPIC MACAY volunteer...

SPIC MACAY… Its so much more than an a body of people working together for a common cause; it is just so much more significant and deep rooted in its effect than any ordinary organization.

To begin with, thanks to SPIC MACAY, I’ve had the privilege to attend some truly soul stirring performances over the last couple of years. From the vocal strains of the prodigious Pt. Mukul Shivputra, to the enchantment of Sh. Kamal Sabri and his Sarangi.
The movement has opened my mind to a treasure trove of the richest of our cultures and arts, to a level of dedication, of devotion and of commitment previously unheard of, at least for me. This conscious knowledge of their lifelong sadhana towards their art form always inspires me to go ahead and achieve my goals. I feel Pt. Ravi Shankar has very accurately said, “Music is not just for entertainment, ….but to appreciate it, has a very civilizing effect.”

The artistes that I’ve interacted with, have shown me a higher level of thought that I can truly aspire to reach. Perhaps the most moving such incident was my meeting with Ust. Rahim Fahimuddin Dagar Sahab. His warmth along with his profound simplicity in thought really left a mark on me and my thinking.

Besides the obvious exposure to our nation’s rich and diverse heritage, the movement has given me something slightly less tangible. I’ve been introduced to a school of thought which professes a universal respect and tolerance to things that are not entirely known to me. The spirit of exploration, which initially drew me to SPIC MACAY, has now become a part of my thinking and living. As my seniors at my college used to tell me, its all about “opening one’s mind” to a phenomenon as yet unknown to you; to a phenomenon which most people consider it natural to shun at the first instance. It is this sense of logical tolerance, of accepting the fact that there might be great things as yet unknown to one, and of then giving it a chance to impress, that is the underlying backbone of a progressive society.

Another point, which is just synonymous with the name of SPIC MACAY, is the spirit of volunteerism that drives the movement forward. This seamless integration in mind and heart among the countless volunteers truly amazes me. For me this sense of service really contributes to the upliftment that one gets when working with SPIC MACAY. To quote an example, in my time with the movement I’ve helped out with the shoe counter a couple of times, a job which is both critical for the event and taxing for volunteers. And I can say for sure, that the feeling that I got at the end of the whole exercise was unlike any that I’d ever experienced. The simple task of picking up and aligning shoes became an act of divine service for the movement, when done with that spirit of real volunteerism and humility. Without any sense of exaggeration, I can say that SPIC MACAY makes all of us volunteers better workers, better members of society, and downright better human beings.

Finally, perhaps the most obvious gain from being in a movement like SPIC MACAY, and what I consider to be the greatest assets one can hope to have, is the multitude of amazing people that one gets to meet and interact with. I can confidently say, that some of my closest friends and comrades, have been gems strewn upon my life’s path by SPIC MACAY.

Long live the movement!

May God Bless SPIC MACAY!

Kandisa!

No comments:

Cheers to South Park!

Q. - While people will always act within the bounds of human nature -- good people being good and bad people being bad, it takes religion to make good people bad.

A. - "Well, many religions also give people good reasons NOT to do bad things. And while people may do terrible things in the name of religion or via religion, they may have well still done them without the religion there -- it's just a justification provided for a choice already made."

-- Matt Stone & Trey Parker
(From South Park FAQ's)

Bet you didn't expect THIS from the ones who made Cartman and the gang! :)

Dilbert

Beatlemania!!!

Beatlemania!!!

BBC Sport | Football

BBC Sport | Formula 1