Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My recursive dream!

Its the night of 30th (;-) April, and yes, I had the IIM results induced butterflies in my tummy.
Knowing that the results are due that night/next morning isn't a very tranquil feeling.

Anyhoo...
There I was, lying on my bed, 5:15am, watching the curtains gradually brighten up. I had already had 3 dreams, of myself going through the respective institute sites and google news too, in the hope of getting my hands on the result, all in vain.
Tired of living the same dream over and over, I got up. On my way to the computer, I glanced at my mobile. 2 missed calls and a message.
Hmmm.
1 missed from Debasish (co-IIM hopeful), and one from Ashish.
Hmmmmmm.
And Ashish telling me to listen to Alanis Morrisette's timeless 'One hand in my pocket'.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....
Am I supposed to read into random symbolism here?
The only way to know was to make a dash to the comp and literally live those haunting dreams.

And I did just that. Listening to Coldplay's 'Violet Hill' on a loop was a nice accompaniment.
Sadly enough, all the dreams actually did come true. No results out yet (of the ones I'd been interviewed for: A,C,I,K). Half "I've HAD it with this!" and half asleep, I messaged Debasish about the futility of my early morning exercise, and Ashish about the millions of times I'd heard the song already.
With that, I went back to sleep. It was now 6:20am.

Now, the recursion begins.
The first dream I had in my 2nd innings asleep:
I'm at R.K. Puram. The point where a road used to end, has now magically been transformed into an idyllic hang out place. Architecturally superior (and similar) to the courts of Dilli Haat, with a food court and a big Pizza place (Name not revealed due to lack of coherent memory, and not trademark issues!).
Anyhoo..
I reach there, and am awe struck by the wonder of its new look. And there I find the gang, waiting to surprise me. I distinctly recall Manish, Vidya, Akshay and Ashish. Though there were quite a few more there, who somehow missed by dreamy view. I can assume the rest of the list, but for the sake of 'factual objectivity', I shall keep it to this (i LOVE the irony here! :-)
Continuing.
So I reach this amazing place. I'm in a slightly pensive mood, owing to the hanging nature of the results. I catch hold of Vidya and tell her just how crazy things have been, relating to the three-petition of the futile result hunt dream. I'm happy to see the holistic grandeur of the ambience... my place, my people, all the works, but the gnawing sense of magnified uncertainty is all too evident, and leaves me huffing and puffing.
Next thing I remember, I'm away from the party scene, and with some nameless, faceless companion. The location is still in the vicinity of the venue of the 'still fresh in memory' get together, but not quite there. I am now relating the amazing "Renovated RK Puram get together" dream to this person. I explain to him/her all the nuances of what was there first, and what was there in the dream; I tell him/her the people I'd met, and even the despairing rant shared with Vidya.

And the next thing I remember, I'm awoken by my brother at 9am. Debo's message tells me B's result is out. I rush to check the others. And after the initial blankness of purpose, C comes, and thats all thats come as of now. Not the point that.

SO, to conclude:
I have a series of 3 identical dreams.
After an hour's break of consciousness, I have a dream in which I relate the 1st series in a fantasy, and then relate the fantasy in a more normal setting. And finally, I have related this entire drama to you, dear patient and considerate reader. I hope the figure at the beginning makes more sense now.

Violet Hill is still on.
Some things shall stay the same, transcending boundaries of n dimensions. At least one can hope so.
On that seriously concocted philosophical note, I end my account of my "Triple Level Cojointed Recursive Dream".

Good Morning!

6 comments:

Neha said...

Congratulations again, on C.

The dreaming, recounting, dreaming about recounting, recounting dreaming about recounting, and so forth, sounds funnily symbolic of the (undoubtedly overworked) refresh button in its 'stop, rewind, replay'-ness.

That was an odd sentence to type out. :)

Interesting dream. Uncommon. Not unlike 31st Aprils. :)

Justin said...

Odd dreams merit odd sentences! :)

Wanderer ... said...

Hmm ..
Congos for C, J.. [;)]

So.. C'ing J's dream materializing into a C call
... and ...
Our Dear M (wondering) amidst two Cs, standing tall
... and ...
lastly ... C'ing J's recursive dream as a manifestation of admission at C's CS course ....
Phew !

All I can say : My friend, The order is ... O(myGod)

;)
Keep rocking J

Justin said...

:)

Nandini said...

hey justin, congratulations. nice post. on a nice day.

Justin said...

thank you very much.
:)

Cheers to South Park!

Q. - While people will always act within the bounds of human nature -- good people being good and bad people being bad, it takes religion to make good people bad.

A. - "Well, many religions also give people good reasons NOT to do bad things. And while people may do terrible things in the name of religion or via religion, they may have well still done them without the religion there -- it's just a justification provided for a choice already made."

-- Matt Stone & Trey Parker
(From South Park FAQ's)

Bet you didn't expect THIS from the ones who made Cartman and the gang! :)

Dilbert

Beatlemania!!!

Beatlemania!!!

BBC Sport | Football

BBC Sport | Formula 1